The League can
take action in support or opposition to a proposal when the study of a
governmental issue has been completed and members have reached agreement
on the topic.
the Annual Meeting on May 13, 2017, Local League members adopted Local Program. Six program
items are Advocacy and/or Education initiatives with special emphasis during 2017- 2018.
1. Action in support of an open government that is responsive to the people of Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties.
2. Educate the community about the U.S. political process, changes in election law related to voter access, and the Florida Constitutional Revision Commission.
3. Educate the community about the Equal Rights Amendment/Intersectionality: Reproductive Rights, Pay and Promotion Equity, Paid Family Leave and Violence Against Women.
4. Action to Reduce Single-Use Plastic Bags.
5. Action in Support of Judicial Review instead of Direct File in Juvenile Offender cases.
6. Action in support of school based discipline and civil citations instead of out of school suspension and arrest.
Note: Intersectionality is the intersection of Race & Gender.
- School to Prison Pipeline Series videos here.
- Education - League Concluded the School Choice Study. In 2012-13, the League initiated a study to better understand the oversight of public moneys that are allocated to charter schools and other private educational institutions. The League recognizes first and foremost it is a paramount duty of the state to provide for education and that charter schools, while privately owned and managed, are under contract to public school districts, funded by the public and must be accountable to the public. The League does not support direct or indirect tax credit funding for private schools. Click here to view the League's final statewide report on school choice!
- League submits comments to IRS regarding Proposed Guidance for Tax-Exempt Social Welfare Organizations on Candidate-Related Political Activities. 2/19/2014
position approved June 2012. (Background
the role of the federal govenment in public education (preK through
grade 12). (Background
position March 2012)
- Study the expansion of local rehabilitation programs.
* League Position on Health Care [Read